At least 26 people were killed and dozens more injured in the collapse of a metro overpass in the Mexican capital on Monday.
Families of more than two dozen people killed in the collapse of a train overpass in Mexico City last week will receive financial compensation, the city’s mayor announced, as the country continues to roll back from the deadly incident.
Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said Saturday that about $ 35,000 (700,000 pesos) will be available to the families of the 26 people who died on May 3.
Relatives will receive about $ 2,500 (50,000 pesos) from the town, as well as $ 32,650 (650,000 pesos) from the metro train line, Sheinbaum said.
“We don’t leave them alone,” he said at a news conference. “We’ll go to them and we’ll give them all the support they need.”
More than 80 people were also injured in the collapse of a 12 -meter high section of Line line in southern Mexico City.
Calls for accountability have grown because funerals for the victims had been held over the past several days, and hundreds of people protested Friday in town to demand answers.
Sheinbaum and Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador earlier promised a full investigation into what happened would be done.
“A meticulous investigation will be done… to find out the truth,” Lopez Obrador SAYS the day after the incident. “From that, responsibility arises.”
The lawyer’s office, Mexico City’s partner and an external auditor, Norway’s DNV GL, are investigating, according to government officials.
But Sheinbaum faces questions on whether the metro network has been properly maintained since his 2018 inauguration.
Line 12 was established when Communications Minister Marcelo Ebrard was mayor of Mexico City.
Ebrard called the incident “the most horrific accident that mass transportation has ever experienced”.
Relatives of the victims shared their own stories this week, including Luis Adrian Hernandez Juarez, whose 61-year-old father Jose Luis drives Line 12 every day to go to his job at an auto body shop.
Holding his father’s death certificate, Hernandez Juarez said emergency personnel told him his father was crushed under the other passengers. “It’s really hard to see your dad like that for the last time,” he told The Associated Press.
Meanwhile, some travelers who regularly travel the line, said they have long feared such an incident would happen.
“Since it opened, it’s been scary,” Maria Isabel Fuentes, a domestic worker, told the AP about Line 12.
But he said that because the metro serves low -income neighborhoods in the capital, it is not as a priority. “We’re both going to always pay.”