Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara, leader of the protest movement in San Isidro, was admitted to the hospital on May 2 after a hunger strike.
A non -objectionable Cuban actor who spent eight days on a strike has been released from hospital, Havana’s public health authority said Monday.
Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara, the 33-year-old leader of the San Isidro (MSI) protest movement of artists and intellectuals pushing for greater freedom of expression, went on strike last month to protest against authorities confiscated many of his works.
He is admitted to hospital on May 2, eight days from his hunger strike.
“I’m really happy and relieved, he’s at his family’s house now at least,” Otero Alcantara’s friend and fellow activist Iris Ruiz told the Reuters agency. “There was a lot of uncertainty in the past.”
The university hospital of General Calixto Garcia where he was treated announced “his complete recovery” and said Otero Alcantara “reiterated his gratitude to the staff who watched over him every time”.
In the first few days of his hospital stay, authorities released videos showing him in good health but Otero Alcantara’s neighbors said they had not spoken to him.
Amnesty International earlier this month described him as a “prisoner of conscience”, saying state security showed he was under supervision and had no communication with the hospital.
U.S. State Department official Julie Chung expressed concern about Otero Alcantara’s condition when he was admitted to hospital and urged the Cuban government to “take immediate steps to protect his life and health”.
The U.S. Embassy in Cuba also said at the time that Otero Alcantara, like all Cubans, “deserves to be treated with dignity and respect”.
After his arrest last month, he was released but also restrained multiple times for attempting to leave his home, which was blocked by police.
During his hunger strike, his internet service was cut off and police prevented people, including two priests, from visiting Otero Alcantara.
MSI said he was taken to hospital by force and that official medical reports of his condition were “confusing and contradictory”.
In a sign of unity, last week approximately 20 Cuban artists requested that their works at the Fine Arts Museum in Havana be hidden from public view. The museum rejected the request, saying it was not in the “public interest”.
Artist Tomas Sanchez, 73, wrote on Facebook: “Cuban art is going through dark times… the crime of difference is not – and never will be – a path to togetherness.”
Members of the San Isidro Movement were made a rare protest before the Culture Ministry in November against restrictions on freedom of expression and detention of artists and activists.
Since then, authorities have brought in state -run media to welcome its members and allies as agitators working in the U.S. to corrupt the government. The group denies the accusations.